This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click and make a purchase, I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I use and love, or that I would recommend to my mom or best friend. Please see the disclosure statement for additional information.
Box mix blueberry muffins are nothing to write home about. But with just a few tweaks, you can take that box of muffin mix from boring to special in no time.
How? By turning it into an easy blueberry muffin loaf, bursting with juicy berry flavors!
It’s unbelievably simple, yet packs a punch. Let me show you how.
Easy blueberry muffin loaf
What you’ll need:
- 1 box of blueberry muffin mix (Enough to make 12 muffins)
- 1/2 pint of fresh blueberries
- 1 12-ounce can of diet soda (If your muffin mix calls for water and nothing else, you can use water instead of soda)
- Loaf pan (I used a 5×9″ pan)
- Oversized mixing bowl
Yes, that’s really all you need! Let’s talk ingredients for a moment.
It doesn’t matter if the muffin mix comes with the little can of blueberries, or has the little blue pellets in the mix. (Those pellets weird me out, by the way!) As long as the mix makes 12 muffins, you’re good to go.
Interesting fact – did you know that you can make any boxed cake or muffin mix using only a can of diet soda? It’s true! However, there are a couple of things to consider when using this neat little trick.
First, the flavor of the diet soda will be faintly detectable in the cake. So if you use Diet Sprite, for example, you’ll get a little hint of lemon-lime. Choose your diet soda wisely – make sure it will complement (Or at least not clash with) the flavor of your cake/muffin mix.
Next, the color of the diet soda will affect the color of the cake/muffin mix. Not a huge deal, but just be aware that using a darker soda such as Diet Coke or diet root beer will darken lighter-colored mixes.
How to make it
1. Preheat the oven according to the muffin mix instructions.
2. If your mix comes with a can of blueberries, drain and rinse them.
3. Grease the loaf pan with butter or nonstick spray.
4. Add the muffin mix to the oversized bowl.
5. SLOWLY pour the can of diet soda into the bowl.
When the muffin mix and diet soda meet, they foam up. If your bowl isn’t big enough, you’ll have a muffin volcano science experiment on your hands. This is why it’s important to use a larger bowl.
Look at all that foam!
6. Stir the muffin mix and soda together until just incorporated. The foam will dissipate on its own, but stirring helps reduce it more quickly.
7. Gently fold in fresh blueberries. If your mix included canned blueberries, you can toss those in as well.
Those teeny tiny little pink things are the canned blueberries that came with the muffin mix. And yes, I pulled that stem out!
8. Pour prepared mix into loaf pan.
9. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Note that there will probably be some melted blueberry on the toothpick. As long as the toothpick is clean of liquid batter, you’re good.
10. Once cooled, serve by the slice.
How to enjoy it
This little loaf makes a great breakfast or dessert.
My favorite way to enjoy a slice of blueberry muffin loaf is warmed up, with a little butter on top.
It’s also tasty warmed up under a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
The long and short
This easy blueberry muffin loaf is great for breakfast or as a dessert. And with only 3 ingredients, you can’t go wrong.
P.S. – Do you love blueberries as much as I do? Check out my light dessert inspired by blueberries and zabaglione!